Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


Hello, I'm an Indian student living in Sweden with Schengen Visa. My fiance is from Poland but working and living in Germany. She doesn't have any address in Poland. We are planning to get married in Poland in June, since she doesn't have holidays till June. My visa is expiring on end of June. I know I must apply for stay card for which I need some procedures and what I can do with this stay card? Is it possible for me to go around Schengen countries with this stay card? Becasue I want to stay with her in Germany or is there any other possibilites for me to apply for something else? Thank you.Waiting for the reply.


I am not sure I understand your plans properly.

You wish to marry in Sweden with a Polish girl living in Germany. Your visa expires in June, and shortly before you plan to get married.

My question is where you wish to apply for your 'stay card'?

Firstly, I believe it would be very useful to quickly check the marriage formalities in Sweden to make sure in advance that both of you posess all the documents necessary for marriage.

Secondly - you should know that in principle, the european law allows for non-european spouses of EU citizens to stay together with those EU citizens only in that country, where the EU spouse resides. That means that if your girlfriend lives in Germany - no other country will offer you a residence permit because of your marriage, only Germany can do that.

It is only in Germany that you can apply for a residence card (based on family reasons). For this to be possible, your girlfriend will have to prove she works legally in Germany, and her situation is stable in this country.

Our organization is based in Poland, we are not experts on German migration law - you can find information on this in German NGOs.

What we can only say is in the described situation you would not be eligible for any residence status because of your marriage, as long as your wife does not reside in Poland.

Answer date:

2013-03-12 22:27:15


Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.