Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


My situation is so complicated. I do not know where to find any power to go on. Please, help me. I met my husband abroad and arrived to Poland with my 6 years old son.We are from Turkmenistan. I had to resing from my good job. We had a marriage in POland in 2009 September. I could not find a job for 1.5 years old, had a depression and problems. But finally I got a job, my son three years go to School here. but now, my husand wants to divorce me. He has his intercyza, house, account. this is not a problem for me. IN September 2012 I could have got Karta Stalego Pobytu. But my husband refuses to go and apply for Karta. So, when It expires in Sept, what should I do? I have my work here, my son goes 3 year to polish school from zerowka. SO, those three years are for what? Can I get karat Pobytu without my husband, but i have only rented appartment. IS it a problem? but I have my job. Please, help me. Where can I get a lawer?


Your possibilities depend on details - and indeed a visit to a lawyer, who could see your documents is a very good idea.

In general, as long as you have a legal job, it is possible to legalize your further stay in Poland.

You need to take care of filing application in this matter 45 days before your current card expires, at the latest.

I suggest you contact one of the legal non-governmental organizations, who provide free legal help to foreigners.

Check up our CONTACTS section for telephone numbers and addresses of those organizations.

In Warsaw, we recommend Association for Legal Intervention (Stowarzyszenie Interwencji Prawnej - SIP), Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights (Fundacja Helsińska); In Krakow - Halina Niec Human Rights Association, in Lublin - Fundacja Insytut na rzecz Państwa Prawa.

In all institution, legal aid is professional and free.

It is best to call for appointment, and prepare for a visit - collect all important documents related to your stay in Poland until now: legalization decisions and correspondence, documents relating to your child legalization and school attendance, marriage certificate as well.

You should also know that as a wife of a Polish citizen you have a right to work in Poland without a work permit. If you cease to be a wife before receiving permanent stay permit, you also lose the right to work without the permit - so to continue employment you would need to receive a work permit.

In Poland, it is the employer that applies for a work permit for his/her employee. In your situation, it would be best to ask your employer to apply for a work permit for you, practically immediately. You will need this permit to apply for legalization of your stay after divorce (or even before the divorce, if your husband won't assist you filing the papers).

Answer date:

2012-05-29 22:39:38


Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.