Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


I am planning to get married with my girlfriend in October 2013. She is based in Poland now. I am residing in Dubai for long term business assignments. I have yet no plans to reside continuously in Poland for more then 2 years after getting married. I am seeking your advice whether I will be eligible to get some sort of temporary permit to go and visit my girlfriend in Poland. How about getting polish citizenship in this circumstances?


After marriage, you would be entitled to apply for a visa. Polish visa can be issued for a maximum of one year. Usually, the marriage certificate alone is not enough to receive this visa, and your wife would have to issue you a formal invitation letter as well.

In the described situation you would not be able to seek a residence permit - this could only be issued when you planned to live in Poland with your wife.

Saying this I assume your future wife is Polish. If she is not, but living in Poland - the situtioan may be different and it depends on her legal status in the country.

As for Polish citizenship, there are two ways to receive it: the presidential way and the administrative way.

The first one - presidential - gives a chance to get the citizenship usually in untipical situations. One does not need to comply to any specific criteria, but to convince the president about his/her links to Poland. The procedure takes more than two years.

The second way is more organized and shorter - and formalized. One can receive the citizenship meeting a set of specific criteria. In case of spouses of Polish citizens, you would need to be married for at least three years, and have resided in Poland for at least two years based on permanent residency permit. In practice it means you would need to live in Poland for at least five years in order to qualify. To submit an application one also needs to document his/her competence in Polish language.

Answer date:

2013-08-15 17:36:25


Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.