Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


I have been in Egypt for almost 3 months, trying to marry my fiancé, but we keep encountering problems: with visas, with the translation office. Because of all this we have lost our jobs and all our savings. My visa expired – they made us go back and forth from Hurghada to Cairo. My future husband had an accident – he was hit by a bus and lay in hospital for over a month. During this time my visa expired. We have all the documents we need to get married, but we can’t get a visa, without a visa we can’t get married, and I can’t live with him unless we get married. I have to leave while my fiancé remains in Egypt. Will it be difficult to invite him to Poland and get married there?


While abroad, you should first of all make use of the Polish Embassy’s services – its representatives know the local conditions and regulations well, and should be able to give you advice on what to do. The Migration Infoline serves foreigners in Poland, we are not familiar with the laws of other countries.

If you have all the necessary documents, getting married in Poland will certainly be possible.

You can write an invitation for your fiancé – he will receive a visa, during his stay in Poland you can get married, and then he can apply to legalise his stay in Poland.

In order to speed up the procedure, your fiancé can submit an “assurance to marry”, a kind of formal declaration of his intention to marry, in a Polish consulate in Egypt, even before he arrives in Poland. We would also advise you to apply for a reasonably long-term visa – completing all the marriage formalities and applying for legalisation of your husband’s stay in Poland can take a long time – having a valid visa during that time is extremely beneficial.

Foreigners often come to Poland with too short a visa to complete all the formalities in time, which forces them to stay illegally in Poland after their marriage until they receive a residence card (which takes several months to issue). It’s true that the spouse of a Polish citizen cannot be deported from Poland, but even so it is not a comfortable situation to be in.

Translation by Zuzanna Olszewska.

Answer date:

2009-09-10 15:45:10


2013-11-23 22:48
To remove, enter your password:

hello. we faced the same kind of problems, you can get married in denmark and its easy. all ur fiance needs is a schengen visa...and marriage can be registered in EU. here is a link of a agency, this is what we used to solve all problems.... http://weddingindenmark.eu/?gclid=CJKIp6nx-7oCFQ1L3godeCEAtQ

Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.