Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


My girlfriend lives in Haiti and I in Spain (I am Polish). We would like to know what documents are needed to legally marry in Spain, and have the marriage recognised in Poland and Haiti. Also, what does the law on visas look like? Will she need a visa to come to Spain? So far, I’ve been travelling to see her.


A large part of your question lies outside our competence – we deal with helping foreigners in Poland. You will have to find out about the Spanish requirements for marriage in Spain.

As far as we are aware, in order to get married abroad, you will need a Certificate of legal capacity to marry abroad.

“In order to acquire this document, you should contact a Polish diplomatic mission in order to declare an Assurance to marry,” the Assistant Director of the Civil Status [Registry] Office of the city of Warsaw, Michał Szerszeń, tells us. “After making this declaration, you will be able to apply for the above certificate. If you are a permanent resident of Spain, the Consul of the Republic of Poland will be able to issue you the certificate. Otherwise, the Civil Status [Registry] Office appropriate to your last place of residence in Poland will prepare it.”

If you have a Spanish marriage certificate, you will be able to register this document in Poland; in other words, enter it into the Polish registry. To do this, you will need the original marriage certificate, its translation by a certified translator into Polish (depending on the content of the certificate, you may need other documents, such as copies of the spouses’ birth certificates).

After naturalisation, the marriage certificate will be recognised in Poland. After your marriage, your wife will be able to obtain a Polish visa without any problem; and also, if you decide to live in Poland, she will be able to apply for a residence permit in Poland.

Unfortunately, we are unable to comment on Spanish requirements and rules in this matter (nor those of Haiti).

Translation by Zuzanna Olszewska.

Answer date:

2009-09-10 15:53:16


Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.