Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


Dear Sir/Madam, I am an Indian citizen studying in Romania and my fiancee is from Poland. we will be getting marry soon but i am not living in Poland and will be there on Shengen visa for 60 days.I looked up the information on some forums and read that once i am married I have to apply to the office in Poland to get temporary residence card. can you please tell me what is the procedure as we will not be married in Poland and when we come there what we have to do to apply? Do we have to show any funds as she is not working at the moment and live with her parents and we will be living there for the start as they have place for us.How much time it all takes to get the relevant residence permit? Your help will be much appreciated.I will be looking forward to your reply. Thanks


If you arrive to Poland for 60 days, it is important that you file an application for your temporary residence 45 days prior to the day your visa expires. In such case your stay in Poland will remain regularised during the entire legalisation procedure - you will receive a stamp in your passport legalizing your stay until your application is reviewed (which may take 2-6 months, depending on the region of Poland and your particular situation).

If you miss this deadline and will file your application later, it will still be accepted and decision can be taken, but your stay in Poland during the procedure will not be legliazed. In fact, you will be in Poland illegally for a while. According to the Polish law such situation will be acceptable, you will not face deportation or arrest, yet it is very uncomfortable and worth avoiding.

The applications are to be filed to the regional authorities (Urząd Wojewódzki), in the region your wife and yourself will reside in Poland.

To file an application, you will need the original copy of your marriage certificate. Some offices insist that the marriage is entered to the Polish civil records (Polish institution for this is called Urząd Stanu Cywilnego). Then, Polish document should be enclosed to the application. In case of foreign one, also sworn translation is needed. In addition you will need to attach a copy of your wife's passport.

In this kind of procedure, motivated by marriage, you do not need to demostrate income or financial resources.

Answer date:

2012-10-31 10:39:33


Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.