Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


Hello, I am a non-EU citizen and I graduated a month ago from a Polish university. My student visa is expiring soon, but I have found information that non-EU citizens are able to work in Poland without a work permit, if they graduated from a Polish university/college. I would be very thankful if I could get any additional information regarding that. Is there any procedure that I am supposed to complete, etc? Thanks


Hello, no there is no additional procedure - as a graduate of a Polish university you simply do not need a work permit.

You can just seek a job, without looking for such a permit.

Yet, you do require a permit to reside in Poland - and this is a burning issue.

According to the law, you should apply for a new residence permit until 45 days prior to the expiry of your current visa. If you do so, you get a special stamp in your passport, which gives you a right to stay in Poland until the end of legalization procedure.

If you fail to meet this deadline, your application can still be reviewed, but you won't manage to get a decision while your visa is still valid. In result, you would need to leave Poland and await the decision abroad (in your home country or another country where you have a right to reside). Upon leaving Poland you need to establish a representative, who will receive mail in your case - such person will need to reside in Poland.

To apply for a new residence permit you need to justify your stay - in practice to do this you either need to present a work agreement or a certificate from your university that you continue your studies.

Answer date:

2014-03-05 09:42:20


Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.