Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


Hello, I have a polish wife and we have married for over 10 months and she had child for me and i have applied for resident permit at voivode office and over 9 months i have been waiting for the decision, I'm afraid of the decision and i want to know if i can use my child document (birth certificate) to apply for resident permit because my former resident i got from other EU (Lithuania) expired last year September at voivode prior to waiting for there reply...pls advice


My advice is to contact the Voivodship, which is reviewing your case and ask at what stage the procedure is.

At any stage of the procedure you have a right to add documents on your case - and yes, it is a good idea to file your child's birth certificate to your legalization documents.

Just write a letter asking to add the certificate to your file, and send a birth certificate along.

Don't be afraid to contact the office and ask about your case. You have a right to know what is happening with your case. Also, 9-months waiting is really long, you should be informed when the procedure will end - and you can ask about that.

Also, it is important that you know that being a husband of a Polish citizen you cannot be detained or deported because of illegal stay in Poland (with an exception of security situations, when your stay may be considered a threat to public security or order). So, in principle, you can await your decision safely, even though your previous lithuanian permit has expired.

Answer date:

2014-03-05 21:25:45


2014-08-15 22:11
To remove, enter your password:

Thanks for reply, At the end of the case they issued me Negative decision and for over 5 months I have filed for appeal case and yet I have not received decision, but all what the Warsaw Head Office did is sending me letter every months postpone the dates, My child is now 8 months and I don't have money to take care of him and I'm not living with my wife again due to financial Constrain, But I still manage to give my wife money for the child every months (400zl to 450zl) which I paid through her bank account but my wife complain not enough and she threat to file alimony along with divorce, I have been living in Poland for over 2 years and yet I'm not working only getting help from my family....please Advice can "I use my child to get residence permit " or other ways I can be free from this case I see as a modern slavery and act of wickedness from voivode office because my wife and her mother always give me problem and threat me.

Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.