Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


Hello, I am a South Korean girl staying in Poland right now and visiting my boyfriend. Im here without visa as I dont need one. The customs on the border just gave me a stamp in my passport and said I can stay 90 days. I would like to stay longer at least 4 more months and maybe look for a job. My question is what should I do if I want to stay more than 90 days? Can I just leave Poland and go to Ukraine for few nights and then come back? Would that work to get a new stamp and stay another 90 days?


In case of South Korean citizens, it is enough to leave the Schengen area for one day - and the 90-day visa-free permit to stay in Poland starts all over again.

So, if you wish to extend your stay, you may visit Ukraine for one day, for example, and return, making sure that upon return you receive a new stamp in your passport.

Yet it is important to know that the visa free entry relates only to travel visits - and does not give you the right to work in Poland.

In order to be able to work, you need to first find an employer. Then, the employer needs to apply for a work permit for you. And then - with a copy of the work permit, you can apply for temporary residence card with the right to work (zezwolenie na zamieszkanie na czas oznaczony).

The residence cards are issued by the regional authorities (Urząd Wojewódzki) in the region of your residence in Poland. They are usually issued for one year, with a possibility of extension.

Answer date:

2013-02-20 15:34:57


Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.