Migration Helpline

IMPORTANT! Changes in the Law of Foreigners since 1st of May 2014!
This answer is ARCHIVE, needs to be verified if it is compliant with current law


good day, i m from Ivory Coast and i have child two years old with polish man, my child born in africa but have polish birth certificat and nationality only we came in poland on 7 april because of civil war in my country now i m afraid to go back there , and we have schengen visas c me and my child , my question is I want to now if it is possible to me and my child to have longeur visas or residence carte in poland and if yes what is the procedure. thank in avance for your assistance


I believe you now have a short-term visa, that allows you to be in Poland?

In any case, if your child has Polish nationality, it has the right to be in Poland - and doesn't need any special permission.

If the child has Polish birth certificate and Polish passport - you don't need to do anything regarding the child's stay in Poland.

If the child only has the birth certificate, but no passport, you can apply to Voivodship Office responsible for your place of residence for a document confirming his/her Polish citizenship. With this document you and your child's father have to go together to the passport office (they are located in Poviat regional authorities) to get a Polish passport to the child.

Both parents have to agree, in order for the child to get a Polish passport.

As for your own legalization - you can apply for a temporary permit to stay in Poland, because you are a mother of a Polish citizen. Such permit is usually issued for one year.

It is very important to file an application 45 days before your current visa expires.

I suggest you visit a non-governmental organization, to receive free legal advice and help in filling documents needed to apply for such permit.

In our 'contacts' section we publish addresses and phone numbers of organizations that offer such legal help.

Answer date:

2011-05-18 10:12:30


Your comment
E-mail Password to remove

Back to all questions in this category

Our answers are only informative - please DO NOT treat it as a legal advice!

We regret to suspend Infolinia service. For over a year, we give advice on a voluntary basis - but the scale of questions is far beyond our ability possibilities to help for free. We will unlock the service as soon as we find funds to continue. We still provide information by telephone and by e-mail.
Internauts opinions about infoline Rate us


Migration Helpline (Infolinia Migracyjna) is now run thanks to voluntary work of PFM staff. Before, it was maintained (2012-2014) thanks to co-financing of the project Information Center for Foreigners 2, run by PFM in partnership with the Association for Legal Intervention and the Mazovian Governor. It is co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.


In the years 2009-2011 the project was run as part of Information Center for Foreigners run by the same partnership, also co-financed by the European Fund for Integration of Third Country Nationals and by the state budget.